Saturday, March 20

D&D Dungeon Tiles (Pt. 9): Carving the Cave Walls

 I had drawn a rough outline of where I wanted the cave walls before I added the hot glue but since my foam trays were too small to do the frame sides 
in solid pieces, I decided I needed to make a pattern.
 
(Not sure what I’m talking about? 
Check out my D&D Tile series from the beginning). I’ll wait.)
 
This was easier said than done. I found a piece of lined school paper and started by overlaying the edge along the cave mouth & left wall. I traced the outlines on the frame (it helped that I had drawn them in black marker). Because the walls are farther into the frame, 
I was able to keep the outline within the length of my paper.
 

Then I rotated the paper, matched up the top corner and traced the top side. I repeated the process on a second sheet of paper for the remaining side as well as the larger stalagmite bases I planned to make out of foam. 

Then I cut the pattern pieces out, matched them up and taped them together to match the frame. I made sure to test my pattern against the frame to make sure everything fit where it was supposed to. I also made sure to include 
the cut line for the hidden chamber in the top right corner.
 
Once that was finished, I traced the pattern onto my foam, marking any seam lines on my pattern. I cut out the base layer and glued it into place using my mod podge and paint bottles to hold down any stubborn pieces.

While it was drying, I took my pattern and cut the second layer of cave wall. I made sure to vary the seam placement on the top layer. I ended up cutting out most of the seam lines later but having solid foam pieces cover 
the base seams was worth the extra effort.   
 
I also cut my corner cover for the hidden chamber and glued it, making sure I staggered the connecting edge so that the inset holds it in place slightly better. Then I beveled all the foam edges and textured all the foam with a foil ball.
 
I mixed up another batch of the dried tea and mod podge that I used on the Cave Floor Tile and covered the rest of the floor. I added some of the small rock scatter as well as some dried oregano and rosemary from 
my spice drawer to simulate blown in leaves and sticks.
 

I really liked how it all was looking, but the back cave wall was too bare. 
So, I grabbed a small skull bead out of my stash, 
a couple of toothpicks and my hot glue gun and got to work. 

First, I filled the hole in the skull bead with a small dot of hot glue and smoothed it out with the side of the tip. I could also have tried cutting away the edges of the hole so that it looked like the skull had been punctured 
(maybe by a pickaxe or war hammer). Perhaps on another tile.

I cut the toothpicks down to about an inch long, maybe an inch and a half and put small blobs of hot glue on each end. I used the tip of the hot glue gun to shape the blobs into bone type shapes, with a hip socket on one end and a kneecap on the other. Once they were dry, I carefully broke one of 
the bones most of the way (but didn’t separate the pieces).

Then, I arranged the skull and bones in a small pile against the cave wall and added more leaves and sticks (oregano and rosemary) for flavor.

Isn’t he fun? I was pretty impressed by how well the bones came out. 
Not too bad for hot glue and toothpicks.
 
Here’s the frame with the hidden corner:

And here it is with the corner removed:


Now comes the hard part . . . painting everything.
 
 
Next up: Painting the Cave

No comments:

Post a Comment