Monday, January 13

Where I’ve Been, Part 1


It has been a long time since I’ve had a moment to sit and type, to get my thoughts out of my head and share them. Having triplets deep in the threes will do that. The boys are back in school, the holidays are over (they’re still taking over the house, but the pressure of making them happen has lifted). The laundry has become its own entity and I battle daily with little sign of results.

. . .

Strong, out of season winds blew down a large section of the fence separating our back yard from our reclusive neighbor’s. When it happened we could have fixed it, but due to said neighbor’s reluctance, it will have to wait until after taxes. 

. . .

The triplets’ adventures have become both more amusing, and more harrowing. They are rapidly approaching their 4th birthday (and I hope an end to the terrible threes).  Strawberry and Peach look less alike due to Strawberry’s adventures in hair styling. The first incident left Peach with a cute chin length bob (Strawberry has very steady scissors for being three) and Strawberry with a short asymmetrical cut (like Kate Gosling had). Raspberry was able to get away without her sisters giving her more than some layers and trimming her bangs (to her scalp on one side). The second incident was only about a month later and left Strawberry with a very short pixie cut. I was finally able to convince Hunny to get Raspberry’s hair cut after Strawberry tried to give her layers yet again and Raspberry told Hunny that she wanted shorter hair; she had been telling me since the first incident.

. . .

Raspberry got her ears pierced. Although I was hesitant, and still am honestly, (here’s why ) it was Raspberry herself who convinced me. The girls rediscovered the clip on earrings I had made them for their pirate costumes for Halloween of 2011 and their third birthday pictures. For those who haven’t had the experience (or don’t remember), clip on earrings are painful to wear. They are torturous after even a few minutes, and these were the larger flat clips, not the screw down, point of fire implements of torture that were popular a few decades ago. Raspberry wore those pirate hoops for 3 days. As in, asked me to put them on and wore them for 4 to 6 hours at a time. For comparison, Strawberry would wear them for only 10 to 15 minutes and stopped asking to wear them after a couple of times, Peach wore them for less than 5 minutes and refused to try them again after the first time.

On the third day, I told Hunny that it looked like Raspberry wanted earrings. She jumped on my moment of weakness, and that evening Raspberry had cute butterfly studs for us to take care of. Unfortunately, the backs didn’t hold like they needed to, and within the first week Hunny and I ended up reinserting her earrings at least 3 times (not easy when the holes are still that new and not at all healed). So far she hasn’t shown any sign of my metal allergy but we did switch her to sterling studs after she told me her earrings felt ‘pinchy’. Neither of her sisters seem interested in getting their own earrings, although Bam-Bam has shown an interest (if he’s still interested by his 7th birthday we’ll get his done, he tends to go through fads and we want to make sure he really wants them).

To be continued . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment