Saturday, February 17

Custom Pop Figure Tutorial, pt. 1

 How I turned the Chosen One into the Multiverse Saving Bad Wolf

Ok, so I have so many craft tutorials waiting for you guys (I’ve had two waiting for me to write them up for over a year), but this project has been in the works for even longer and I finally got it to the point I can share it.

You’ve probably seen the Funko Pop Vinyl figures at stores that sell character merchandise (Target, Wal-Mart, Hot Topic, Box Lunch, Think Geek, etc).



I love them. Hunny and I have been collecting them separately for the last few years (hers live safely at her office at work, mine have only recently been put out for display) and Funko doesn’t make every character I’d like them to. 

Which character, you ask? This one:



That, for those of you who are not Whovians (fans of Doctor Who) is Rose Tyler, specifically the Rose Tyler who found a way back to the Tenth Doctor after being stranded in a parallel dimension. She saves the multi-verse and deserves an updated Pop (the Funko version of her is from the first season of the re-boot, with the Ninth Doctor).

So, since her outfit is entirely different from the outfit on her Pop, I had to find a Pop that would be similar enough to be the base without needing too much more than repainting. And luckily I was able to find an Emma Swan (from Once Upon A Time) the very next time I went to Target.



Leather jacket over exposed long t-shirt with pants and boots? Check.
Hair that is close enough to the source image? Check.
Molded on sheriff badge and necklaces? I have a plan to work those in.
Sword? I can remove that. Big, ginormous gun? Nope. 
I’m gonna have to make that one . . .

She’ll do.

I’m home with a respiratory infection, so  . . . Craft Time!

I had already taken my source images (screenshots found on google) to get paints.

I stumbled upon Funkmiester’s Q&A page  which gave great advice for how to mod (modify) Pops, what kinds of paints/ brushes to use, how to disassemble them safely (good if you need to use a different head, or for ease in painting) and other tips and tricks to make customizing easier and more successful.


Step 1: Prepping Emma

I started by trying to remove the existing paint with nail polish remover. It didn’t remove anything. It may have re-toothed the surface (made it less even so paint sticks better), but you can probably skip this step.

I then put her in hot water (not boiling, but close) in a pot on the stove. The hot water helps release the adhesive and makes it easier to remove the head without tearing the vinyl. I kept her in for a few minutes (at a medium heat setting) and was able to get her head off pretty cleanly. I was hoping to remove her arms too (for ease in painting) but it was taking longer than I wanted (I wanted to be done painting before the kids got home from school) so I left them on.

I dried off both pieces, cut off the sword with my jewelry snips (if you have one available, an exacto blade cuts cleaner), and got ready to paint.    


Next time . . . Paint!


No comments:

Post a Comment