Saturday, February 24

Custom Pop Figure Tutorial, pt. 3

How I turned the Chosen One into the Multiverse Saving Bad Wolf

The first part of my Pop mod tutorial was about picking a Pop to mod and getting her prepped. The second part was about getting the basic painting done.


Step 3: Details . . .

Remember, I said I had a plan for the bits of Emma that didn’t match Rose. This is where they come in. Emma has a sheriff badge that is molded into her hip and a necklace around her neck (and I had no desire to try to carve either out, or try to paint over and ignore the weird 3D lines), so I had to find a way to work them into the character for Rose.

Now the necklace was easy. I just painted it silver to match the TARDIS key she wore around her neck (it was originally on a keychain, but was worn as a necklace during her season with the Tenth Doctor). Then clean up the edges with the same paint I used on the hand (under the chin, the color contrast is even less visible).

The badge became one of the Dimension Cannon jump disks (how she and a couple of other characters made it to the Doctor from the parallel dimension). 



Still, relatively easy: metallic silver base, dark yellow center, silver v-shaped arm and a gold button in the very middle. And yet, this step was an almost catastrophic failure.

I went against the advice of other modders and used a tiny drop of gold enamel paint for the center button. I thought that because it was on a layer of acrylic paint, I wouldn’t have the same problems (the paint refusing to dry, issues with it running with the top coat).

I was so wrong.

That tiny little dot of gold only partially dried, and when the top coat hit it, not only did it run . . . it spattered.

I caught it quick, and was able to limit the damage, but still ended up repainting a portion of the jacket, pants and the entirety of the dimension cannon.

This time, I sealed it and then added the button in metallic copper sharpie.




Not too bad, if I say so myself . . .

Final step: glue the head back on. I used E600 (because it was handy, and I can’t find my superglue). It worked ok, but I think I’d prefer less work time for the body to shift. So, next time . . . superglue.


I still need to make her gun (I will likely have to sculpt it out of clay, I may cobble one together and then mold it and cast it in resin, it will really depend on what I find), and the strap for over her shoulder, but for now Dimension Hopping Rose is finished. 



And here she is with my Mini Tenth Doctor (he was a keychain, I just unscrewed the eyehook from the top of his head).



I do have plans to make a Meta-Crisis Tenth Doctor to go with her, but finding a Pop who wears a suit with a t-shirt underneath (without ammo pouches or weird straps) has been difficult. 

As of right now, the closest I’ve seen is Bill from Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure, but the hair is all wrong. I’d prefer not have to buy another head, but I’m also not thrilled with having to sculpt his hair, so . . .



Until then, this will have to do.


I promise that the next things won’t be Doctor Who related (probably). I have two steampunk nerf gun mods that I’ve been waiting to share, as well as some cosplay stuff coming up (including a possible trip to WonderCon). So, unless I have a fanfic bite me and not let go, I should be on to other topics.


No comments:

Post a Comment