Thursday, September 26

Flushed Chapter 5: Dirty Dealings

Flushed

Chapter 5: Dirty Dealings


“Oh, come on!” Jamie’s frustrated exclamation echoed off the tunnel walls as the Bad Wolf’s engine sputtered and died. Running his paws through the dark hair on his head, Jamie searched the hodge podge of controls, hoping for any clues to restart the engine. In his distracted state he didn’t notice the soft swish and splash of Rose’s paddling as she approached the side of her boat.

Rose tied the rubber duck to the stern of the Bad Wolf and snuck aboard. Signaling the mechanical hand, Rose whistled. When Jamie turned, the hand swooped down and lifted him clear of the deck. Rose pointed toward the water and Jamie was unceremoniously dropped overboard.

Jamie bobbed to the surface, sputtering and coughing just in time to hear the engine roar top life and watch the Bad Wolf pull away. “Rose,” he yelled. “Talk to me. I’m sorry. I’m so, sorry!”
___________

Rassilon turned from his contemplation of the candle flame. “Ah, I see you’ve arrived. I have a job for you, Master . . .”

“You only ever call on me when you don’t want to get your webbed fingers dirty. What is it this time? Fancy bauble evade you? Find someone your ridiculous rats can’t intimidate?” At Rassilon’s thunderous expression, the smaller frog laughed. “It’s true then? The great Rassilon, bested by a couple of rats! Oh, it’s too good!”

Rassilon shook his head in denial before taking a deep breath to gather his dignity. “That doesn’t matter, Master. What matters is that that blonde guttersnipe captain of the Bad Wolf stole my cable! And my White Point Star!”

“And what do you expect me to do about it? You lost the girl. Why should I get her for you?”

“I need that cable for the Final Sanction! I will cleanse the sewers of those stinking rodents once and for all. We toads shall once again be the dominant species underground!” Rassilon became increasingly frenzied as he expounded on his plan, spittle flying from his green lips.

“And me? You will keep a place in this new utopia for me and my Tocalfane brethren in exchange for the cable’s return” the Master demanded.

A look of disdain crossed Rassilon’s face before he growled out “You do not make demands of me! Bring me the cable! Bring me the White Point Start! Bring me Rose Tyler and the Doctor! Now, get out!”

The Master giggled as he walked out of the room, a small cadre of frogs silently stepping out of the shadows behind him.
___________

“Ice Cold Rose, Never did I meet a girl who's half so cruel. 
I offered her a jewel,
But she left me stuck. Stranded on a duck.
What a rotten thing to do to Jamie. 
That’s Jamie McCrimmon of Gallifrey.”

Rose flinched at the off key singing coming from behind the boat. Shaking her head, she kept hold of the wheel, determined to ignore the caterwauling behind her.

“Poor, poor Jamie, flushed down his own potty. 
Rose, can't you find it in your heart to help him . . .
How mean could one rat be? 
Ice Cold Rose, won't you be sweeter to me?”

Hiding her smile, Rose glared over her shoulder at Jamie, reclining on the rubber duck, strumming on a guitar fashioned with the spoon and some string fished from the water.

“Was that a smile? It was!” Jamie grinned, trying to meet Rose’s eye over the railing.

Ducking her head, Rose mumbled “It is not.”

“Is too! That’s a smile! Rose Tyler, you smiled! Please let me come back aboard . . . I’m sorry I stole your boat. I’ll do whatever you say the rest of the trip.”

Jamie’s grin fell when he saw the hurt and betrayal on Rose’s face before she spoke. “Why did you take the Bad Wolf? How could you do that to me? You just left me behind. I trusted you. I thought we were . . . I guess I got it wrong.”

Slowly letting out a pained breath, Jamie looked up at Rose. “I heard you and your dad talking to Jake. You were gonna turn me in for the reward money.” His voice rose, his own anger bubbling to the surface until he was standing on the back of the duck, yelling. “And you, Rose Tyler, you gave up on me!”

“That was just Jake being a plonker. No one listens to him. Like I’d really sell you out to Rassilon.” Rose waved dismissively at the idea. Turning to face Jamie, she continued “Come aboard then. We still have to get you home to Gallifrey.” With one last hard stare his direction, Rose turned her attention back to steering calling out “Oi, First Mate! Get below and make us a cuppa. It’s tea time and I want chips!”    

Chap 1 Chap 2 Chap 3 Chap 4 Chap 6 Chap 7 Chap 8 Chap 9

No comments:

Post a Comment